Shampoos, conditioners, and additional lines of lotions! In addition to the lip balms and many types of soaps. Just a quick heads up. Working on the details right now. More again very soon! Additionally , I’ll be posting more pics of the soaps currently in stock with prices. Smiles!!!
These little creamy-coloured beauties are curing a bit since they’re still a bit soft, despite using the hot process method for their production. They smell fabulous though, making the entire back half of the house smell like Clean Cotton (aka Febreeze, according to my dear hubby). Washing out the little Gladware tubs I use as soap molds was a wonderful aromatherapy session. It smelled sort of like ironing day for a moment.
Those little inexpensive plastic storage containers are invaluable for this use! They last for quite a few batches, but if one ever meets an early demise, it’s not huge loss and it’s just that one piece, not the entire 25 dollar mold! I didn’t grease or oil them with anything to prevent sticking. Just poured in the soap and let it set up until it was firm enough to push out, which was actually only around 2-3 hours. According to most information, the oils used should make for a hard bar, but I guess that’s after it’s fully cured or was cooked longer than I cooked it. I poured at the light trace stage. It probably could have/should have gone longer, but that’s ok. Soap can be a bit forgiving in this stage. I’ll get the testing material tomorrow or the next day and I’ll test it then to see if it’s safe to try in a hand washing. No hurry as it still needs to cure a bit more anyway. I don’t want it to wash down the drain too quickly.
She’s at it again! She’s throwing things together and watching to see what happens. Everybody keep back, keep your head down. This could get ugly. I’m trying out a recipe worked up with a soapmaking software program, using Cottonseed oil, Palm oil, and Coconut oil. My D.H. works with cotton quite a bit, so we’re both curious to see what will result from my mad experimentations.
The FO will be, what else, Clean Cotton. The FO was purchased from Nature’s Garden, a supplier I’ve recently come to trust and rely on for top quality FOs and sundries for soaping. The software is SoapMaker 3.0. It’s an invaluable tool for running the numbers for your oils/butters/fats amounts, then calculating for you how much lye and water you’ll need to make this soap formulation. It really saves a lot of time and frustration.
I’m currently chilling down the water so I don’t have Vesuvius in my back porch, Once it’s cool enough, in the lye will go. A light touch of blue might be used, although with cotton, white is nice, too.
So, here’s the recipe in its original form:
7 oz. Cottonseed Oil – Gossypium Seed Oil
4 oz. Coconut Oil – Cocos Nucifera Oil
3 oz. Palm Oil – Elaeis Guineensis Oil
4.91 oz. water – aqua
1.96 oz lye – sodium hydroxide
.44 oz. Clean Cotton FO
The program calculates for a 7% lye discount so all the lye will be taken up in the oils with a bit of the oils left for a slightly superfatted soap as a result. These amounts are by weight as always. Never by volume. Based on a 7.0 scale this should give me a nice hard bar with stable, fluffy lather and good moisturizing qualities. This will be done as HP soap, making a very small batch for this experimental run. If it turns out well, it can always be scaled up. It could be done as a CP soap, but I wanted to be able to get it out of the mold and able to test it asap. A new supply of pH strips is coming this week to be sure of the usability of the soap. So, off I go. More later…..
I had no idea how hard doing a blog could be until I got started setting up this one and finding all the options available for a hosting site for the blog, the different templates – which to choose that I could stand to look at day after day, etc – how to lay it out, what to include. It was daunting! The hard part’s now over and so far, I like the pages appearance. Key words there are ‘so far’. We’ll see what the future holds.
The orders for supplies are now here, at least the starting supplies are here. I’ve found some really fresh, spring like scents to get me into the upcoming spring season, so now it’s time to work on a couple of soap recipes that are in the developmental stages. Since my dear hubby works with cotton a lot, I’m going to try out a recipe that I pulled together with the help of some soapmaking software, throw in Clean Cotton scent and see what comes out. I just need a full day of nothing but constant focus on that task. Hmmmm, therein lies the problem. Very little time to do such things since I work every day. Weekend is looking better all the time. Weekdays are filled with the other half of daily life, wall-to-wall, so they’re definitely out. Maybe one day soon there won’t be anything to do after work but come home, then I can come home and get creative even on a weekday. Once January is done, that will probably be the best time to get things going in the soap making, lotion making, etc job.
Once this cottonseed oil recipe is run and tested, I’ll get a picture or two (if they look nice), and post along with the recipe I used and any additives.
Meanwhile, I have one order ready for a returning customer who requested Pink Grapefruit, Sandalwood, and something ‘foresty/woodsy,ferny’ -which turned out to be Bamboo Hemp. Lucious green, fresh scent in a pretty Celtic Knotwork square bar with a light green tint added. Very nice! Now to get some pics of these before they leave here. Soon!