Playing Mad Scientist, again.

She’s at it again!  She’s throwing things together and watching to see what happens.  Everybody keep back, keep your head down.  This could get ugly.   I’m trying out a recipe worked up with a soapmaking software program, using Cottonseed oil, Palm oil, and Coconut oil.  My D.H. works with cotton quite a bit, so we’re both curious to see what will result from my mad experimentations.

The FO will be, what else, Clean Cotton.  The FO was purchased from Nature’s Garden, a supplier I’ve recently come to trust and rely on for top quality FOs and sundries for soaping.    The software is SoapMaker 3.0.  It’s an invaluable tool for running the numbers for your oils/butters/fats amounts, then calculating for you how much lye and water you’ll need to make this soap formulation.  It really saves a lot of time and frustration.

I’m currently chilling down the water so I don’t have Vesuvius in my back porch,  Once it’s cool enough, in the lye will go.  A light touch of blue might be used, although with cotton, white is nice, too.

So, here’s the recipe in its original form:

7 oz.  Cottonseed Oil                                   – Gossypium Seed Oil

4 oz.  Coconut Oil                                         – Cocos Nucifera Oil

3 oz. Palm Oil                                                –  Elaeis Guineensis Oil

4.91 oz. water                                                –  aqua

1.96 oz lye                                                      –  sodium hydroxide

.44 oz. Clean Cotton FO

The program calculates for a 7% lye discount so all the lye will be taken up in the oils with a bit of the oils left for a slightly superfatted soap as a result.    These amounts are by weight as always.  Never by volume.  Based on a 7.0 scale this should give me a nice hard bar with stable, fluffy lather and good moisturizing qualities.  This will be done as HP soap, making a very small batch for this experimental run.  If it turns out well, it can always be scaled up.  It could be done as a CP soap, but I wanted to be able to get it out of the mold and able to test it asap.  A new supply of pH strips is coming this week to be sure of the usability of the soap.  So,  off I go.  More later…..

 

Advertisements

Getting started

I had no idea how hard doing a blog could be until I got started setting up this one and finding all the options available for a hosting site for the blog, the different templates – which to choose that I could stand to look at day after day, etc – how to lay it out, what to include.  It was daunting!  The hard part’s now over and so far, I like the pages appearance.  Key words there are ‘so far’.  We’ll see what the future holds.

 

The orders for supplies are now here, at least the starting supplies are here.  I’ve found some really fresh, spring like scents to get me into the upcoming spring season, so now it’s time to work on a couple of soap recipes that are in the developmental stages.  Since my dear hubby works with cotton a lot, I’m going to try out a recipe that I pulled together with the help of some soapmaking software, throw in  Clean Cotton scent and see what comes out.  I just need a full day of nothing but constant focus on that task.  Hmmmm, therein lies the problem.   Very little time to do such things since I work every day.  Weekend is looking better all the time.  Weekdays are filled with the other half of daily life, wall-to-wall, so they’re definitely out. Maybe one day soon there won’t be anything to do after work but come home, then I can come home and get creative even on a weekday.  Once January is done, that will probably be the best time to get things going in the soap making, lotion making, etc job.

 

Once this cottonseed oil recipe is run and tested, I’ll get a picture or two (if they look nice), and post along with the recipe I used and any additives.

 

Meanwhile, I have one order ready for a returning customer who requested Pink Grapefruit, Sandalwood, and something ‘foresty/woodsy,ferny’ -which turned out to be Bamboo Hemp.  Lucious green, fresh scent in a pretty Celtic Knotwork square bar with a light green tint added.  Very nice!  Now to get some pics of these before they leave here.  Soon!